This Level 3 Regulated Course schools you on the essential parts of Paediatric First Aid.
This is the online part one of this regulated qualification, you need to also complete the practical part two before you can receive your regulated qualification. This is the latest 2019 version as laid down by the Awarding Organisations.
This course includes the latest CPR and Coronavirus recommendations.
This qualification is designed for those learners wishing to become a paediatric first aider in the workplace with a responsibility for the welfare of infants and children. This qualification is intended for learners already working or preparing to work in the industry.
Learners gaining this qualification will know that first aid is the responsibility of everyone involved in the working environment. Topics within this course are regarded by the Early Years Foundation Stage as being important to maintaining good practice in the safe, prompt and effective treatment of injuries and ill health of infants and children who are under the care of trained personnel.
This qualification meets the requirements for Paediatric First Aid outlined in the Early Years Foundation Stage 2014.
All our first aid courses fully meet the UK and European Resuscitation Council Guidelines 2021 as per the HSE requirements.
Please be advised that the classroom course has a minimum age requirement of 14.
The content of this and all our courses has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines and come with a Certified CPD Statement as well as a National MedicAid Certificate and for online courses an Evidence-Based Learning statement.
This course can be completed as the online part 1 of a 2-part blended course. After completing this online course, you may find and attend the classroom-only part 2 course and cut down on the number of days spent in the classroom.
- Nannies (ensure that you do not actually require the full 2 days or blended Paediatric First Aid course)
- Au Pairs (ensure that you do not actually require the full 2 days or blended Paediatric First Aid course)
- Childminders (ensure that you do not actually require the full 2 days or blended Paediatric First Aid course
- Child care workers
Aims and Learning Outcomes: Emergency Paediatric First Aid
Unit 1: Emergency Paediatric First Aid
- 1.1 Identify the role and responsibilities of a paediatric first aider
- 1.2 Identify how to minimise the risk of infection to self and others
- 1.3 Differentiate between an infant and a child for the purposes of first aid
- 2.1 Conduct a scene survey
- 2.2 Conduct a primary survey on an infant and a child
- 2.3 Summon appropriate assistance when necessary
- 3.1 Identify when to administer Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- 3.2 Demonstrate CPR using an infant and a child manikin
- 3.3 Justify when to place an infant or a child into the recovery position
- 3.4 Demonstrate how to place an infant and a child into the recovery position
- 3.5 Demonstrate continual monitoring of breathing for and infant and a child whilst they are in the recovery position
- 3.6 Identify how to administer first aid to an infant or a child who is experiencing a seizure
- 4.1 Identify when choking is: Mild or Severe
- 4.2 Demonstrate how to administer first aid to an infant and a child who is choking
- 5.1 Identify the severity of external bleeding for an infant and a child
- 5.2 Demonstrate how to administer first aid to an infant or a child with external bleeding
- 6.1 Recognise when an infant or a child is suffering from shock
- 6.2 Identify how to administer first aid to an infant or a child who is suffering from shock
- 7.1 Identify how to administer first aid for: • Bites • Stings • Small cuts • Grazes • Bumps and bruises • Small splinters • Nosebleeds