Go in-depth into the Essentials of First Aid for Children
This is the latest 2019 version and is the entry-level Paediatric First Aid course and forms the unit 1 of the full Paediatric first aid course. On completing this course you can then complete the unit 2 course and receive the full Paediatric First Aid Award at National MedicAid.
All our first aid courses fully meet the UK and European Resuscitation Council Guidelines 2021 as per the HSE requirements. National MedicAid Vocational Training Qualifications (VTQ) are fully recognised by the HSE as Trade Body Qualifications.
Please be advised that the classroom course has a minimum age requirement of 14.
This course comes with 6.0 hours of CPD. The content of this and all our courses has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines and come with a Certified CPD Statement as well as a National MedicAid Certificate.
Course Aims and Learning Outcomes: Emergency Paediatric First Aid
Unit 1: Emergency Paediatric First Aid
- 1.1 Identify the role and responsibilities of a paediatric first aider
- 1.2 Identify how to minimise the risk of infection to self and others
- 1.3 Differentiate between an infant and a child for the purposes of first aid
- 2.1 Conduct a scene survey
- 2.2 Conduct a primary survey on an infant and a child
- 2.3 Summon appropriate assistance when necessary
- 3.1 Identify when to administer Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- 3.2 Demonstrate CPR using an infant and a child manikin
- 3.3 Justify when to place an infant or a child into the recovery position
- 3.4 Demonstrate how to place an infant and a child into the recovery position
- 3.5 Demonstrate continual monitoring of breathing for and infant and a child whilst they are in the recovery position
- 3.6 Identify how to administer first aid to an infant or a child who is experiencing a seizure
- 4.1 Identify when choking is: Mild or Severe
- 4.2 Demonstrate how to administer first aid to an infant and a child who is choking
- 5.1 Identify the severity of external bleeding for an infant and a child
- 5.2 Demonstrate how to administer first aid to an infant or a child with external bleeding
- 6.1 Recognise when an infant or a child is suffering from shock
- 6.2 Identify how to administer first aid to an infant or a child who is suffering from shock
- 7.1 Identify how to administer first aid for: • Bites • Stings • Small cuts • Grazes • Bumps and bruises • Small splinters • Nosebleeds