Regulated Scottish SCA Emergency First Aid at Work
The purpose of the Emergency First Aid at Work at SCQF Level 6 is to provide learners with the skills, knowledge and understanding to provide appropriate care and manage life-threatening conditions, minor illness and injuries.
Where an organisation’s risk assessment of First Aid needs identifies that there is a requirement for Emergency First Aid at Work qualified staff, the Emergency First Aid at Work at SCQF Level 6 meets the requirements of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) First Aid Regulations. All learners will have the knowledge and skills required to provide Emergency First Aid in an occupational setting in a prompt, safe and effective manner.
This qualification has been accredited by SQA Accreditation and may be eligible for public funding. Each unit within the qualification and the qualification itself will have a unique reference number which is listed in this specification. The qualification title and unit reference numbers will appear on the learners’ final certification document.
The content of this and all our courses has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines and come with a Certified CPD Statement as well as a National MedicAid Certificate.
- 1.1 Identify the role and responsibilities of a first aider
- 1.2 Identify how to minimise the risk of infection to self and others
- 1.3 Identify the need for consent to provide first aid
- 2.1 Conduct a scene survey
- 2.2 Conduct a primary survey of a casualty
- 2.3 Summon appropriate assistance when necessary
- 3.1 Identify when to administer Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- 3.2 Demonstrate CPR using a manikin
- 3.3 Justify when to place a casualty into the recovery position
- 3.4 Demonstrate how to place a casualty into the recovery position
- 3.5 Identify how to administer first aid to a casualty who is experiencing a seizure
- 4.1 Identify when choking is: • mild • severe
- 4.2 Demonstrate how to administer first aid to a casualty who is choking
- 5.1 Identify the severity of external bleeding
- 5.2 Demonstrate how to control external bleeding
- 6.1 Recognise a casualty who is suffering from shock
- 6.2 Identify how to administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock
- 7.1 Identify how to administer first aid to a casualty with: • small cuts • grazes • bruises • small splinters
- 7.2 Identify how to administer first aid to a casualty with minor burns and scalds.